Our Current Issue...• On the front cover: Alissa Leinonen, founder of Seattle's Gourmondo and a 2021 Enterprising Women of the Year Award Winner, on emerging from the pandemic, reaffirming her company's mission, and giving back to her community in extraordinary ways.
• Three lessons from the pandemic: What it takes to be a courageous leader in the post-pandemic era; from intense pressure we find the strength to shine; and how monumental losses brought clarity to this woman entrepreneur.
• Seven remarkable trailblazers who stand out in their industries--from corporate housing to aerospace engineering.
• How to evaluate what your company is worth: Relieve your anxiety by taking a closer look at what you can expect from the sale of your most valuable asset, your business.
• Strategies for growing a global company: Take a look at these six trends that are reshaping global business in 2021.
• Summer reading: Five business books written by women entrepreneurs that are worth reading this summer.
• And much more!
Mark Your Calendar and Meet Us in Florida in November
This November will mark the 19th time women entrepreneurs from across the U.S. and around the globe will gather to celebrate the annual Enterprising Women of the Year Awards. And, boy, are we ready to celebrate!
The conference is traditionally held each Spring, but the pandemic forced us to rethink our plans for this year and we moved the conference to Nov. 14-16 in hopes that it could be live and in-person. We are hosting the conference at the beautiful Wyndham Grand in Clearwater Beach, Florida, and you’re invited! Visit our website at www.enterprisingwomen.com to learn more and register.
With COVID numbers dropping and the U.S. on a path to normalcy, our wish is coming true. We can once again hug each other (hugs have been deemed safer than handshakes we’re told) and make those personal connections we all missed so much in the last year.
Over 100 winners and champions were chosen for our Class of 2021 and they will join a similar-sized group of Class of 2020 honorees (who missed an in-person celebration last year) to make this the biggest celebration in our history! Last year we also selected a Top 20 in 2020—20 women who have previously won the Enterprising Women of the Year Award over the past 19 years and have gone on to build even more amazing businesses since first receiving the Enterprising Women of the Year Award. So we will also be celebrating the incredible accomplishments of our “Top 20” honorees.
Last year was also the 20th anniversary of Enterprising Women magazine—so let’s add that to the list of things we need to celebrate!
On the front cover of this issue, we are featuring one of our Class of 2021 honorees—Alissa Leinonen, founder of Gourmondo, a Seattle-based full-service catering and gourmet box lunch company. Alissa represents a theme I saw in our Class of 2021 honorees. So many of our winners experienced devastating losses with their companies in 2020 as they battled to survive in business during this very challenging year. But each has an amazing story of resilience and community leadership, and is so deserving of this recognition. I can’t wait to meet each and every one of our honorees in person.
Our Fall issue will be devoted to full coverage of all of our award honorees, so this issue is just a sneak peek. We hope all of our readers are rebounding and growing their businesses as we emerge together from the pandemic, and that better days are ahead for everyone.
Monica S. Smiley